Thursday, June 24, 2010

Last year I had beautiful blooms on my agapanthus, this year nothing HELP!?

This is the second year in this spot, I don't see any bugs and the rest of the garden is doing great. We are in Northern California. All of the rest in our area look great with big blooms ready to burst open.Last year I had beautiful blooms on my agapanthus, this year nothing HELP!?
Three main things with Agapanthus.


1)- they like to be fed after flowering, use a good organic based food.


2)- they are very drought hardy but reliable water during dry times will improve flowering. And keep them well mulched.


3)- the purpose of a plant flowering is to produce seed. If you let a perennial like aggies' go to seed after flowering they can deplete their energy reserves %26amp; the next season they are 'tired' and see their job as having been done the last season. This will be more so if point 1 %26amp; 2 haven't been followed.





So in short, feed them well, don't let them get too dry %26amp; trim the flower spikes off as soon as they finish each season.


This should result in beautiful summer blooms every year.Last year I had beautiful blooms on my agapanthus, this year nothing HELP!?
I'm in N. Cal. too and the Agapanthus in my mom's garden are not flowering either. I never really thought about it until I saw your question. I just supposed it was because of the late frost we had (we got some in the first week in May). She has Agapanthus orientalis and Agapanthus inapertus with no flower stalks at all. Did you notice any frost damage to the foliage on yours after winter? Are they looking healthy otherwise now? It seems a lot of plants are late this year.





If you applied mulch and fertilized, I would think it would be from the cold spring. If you didn't give any amendments, it could be that it's time for some like everyone else suggested. They also like more water during the growing season than they do later in the season. You can fertilize monthly during the summer.





If you have Agapanthus 'Tinkerbell', this one RARELY flowers. I've only seen it flower once - so if that is the one you have, consider yourself lucky it flowered! :)





Tips:


http://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/indoor鈥?/a>


http://www.emilycompost.com/agapanthus.h鈥?/a>





Good luck.
Rotate your crops if you have room. Certian vegies can take all the nutrients out of the soul, so it is no good to grow them in the same place. Had the same problem with my tomatoes, so I put them in a different spot this year and they are thriving.
same here, they like very fertile soil, put some compost around it and feed with a good flowering plant food . hopefully the stalks with shoot up and oh yeah they like to be root bound and in direct sun light

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin