Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What flowers would have lots of blooming time left if I planted them now in Richmond, VA?

I am new to the Richmond area and don't know a lot about what would grow well here in this season. I'd like to start working on the bed in front of my house where there were some shrubs growing that I have cut down and dug out. The bed gets sun morning through about 1 or 2 pm right now. I'd love to have some flowering plants to bring color to my home!What flowers would have lots of blooming time left if I planted them now in Richmond, VA?
you still have plenty of time to put in annuals, like others have already said. I would recommend zinnias, perhaps petunias or impatiens. In early fall (sept/october) you can plant bulbs (for next spring) and try using pansies or mums. it depends, if you want to invest in perennials you could look into daylilies, hydrangeas or hostas (although it is too late for hostas to bloom) or also try black-eyed susans (they are a local favorite).What flowers would have lots of blooming time left if I planted them now in Richmond, VA?
Go with something already blooming froma nursery, as a temp planting. When spring breaks, go ahead and do any permanent planting.





Planting bulbs, and/or seeds now will take a lot of work, may have problems with shock from the heat, etc... If they arent real healthy when they start a hibernation period, you might not get good plants next year.
You could try to plant some of the very late blooming daylilies: Far and Away, Irish Sun, Lady Alyene, Lime Frost, Marchioness, Susan Weber (I'm in zone 5 and my Marchioness has bloomed but my Susan Weber has not: http://www.gardening-quick-n-easy.com/da鈥?/a> ... and you may still get a few blooms this year. (These particular daylilies are available from Dutchmill Gardens via this website: http://www.gardeneureka.com/DUTCH/defaul鈥?/a>





A few other late blooming plants would be sedum (Autumn Joy is a nice looking one), Yarrow and Dianthus. If you bought from your local nursery versus buying these on-line you may get some blooms yet this year. If your local nursery has them available, be sure to purchase strong healthy plants and not the wilted ';on sale'; or discounted plants.





*~ Good luck ~*
Stick with annuals for right now. Your nurseries will have plenty to offer.





I'm not familiar with VA's climate. Do chrysanthemums grow there? If so, that's a great fall-blooming flower to plant. Also asters, which are in the same family.
  • hair show
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    dry skin