Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Can I dead head my moss rose (portulaca) to increase its blooming?

or will this not help it to produce more blooms?Can I dead head my moss rose (portulaca) to increase its blooming?
Deadheading portulaca will not help to increase the blooming. These plants thrive in high temperatures, intense sunlight. These factors are necessary to insure alot of blooms. Most of the blooms will open early in the day and usually close by mid to late afternoon unless it is a cloudy day. Also, on some of the types your blooms are only going to open for one day. They are very drought tolerant and actually like rather dry conditions. Try cutting back on the water and make sure it is in hot full sun. This should be all that you need to do to help it to flower more, however, it might start to decline in quality in late summer. Hope this helps. :-)Can I dead head my moss rose (portulaca) to increase its blooming?
You don't have to. portulaca will dead head itself, however, the dead flowers are ugly so you can pull them off if you want. They just slide off on their own eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin