Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Has anyone else ever had baby petunias grow from the blooms that they deadhead?

I got a red and white petunia for free from Lowes on Mother's Day, put it in a big planter in front of our deck. It's grown like crazy! It's overflowing from the pot. I've been deadheading the blooms, just like you're supposed to, and I drop the dead blooms back into the pot. Now I've got new petunias growing next to the original one, but they're that hot pink/purple-ish color. I've talked to my mom about it and she's never seen this happen before. She's a big flower nut, and has been planting and growing flowers for ages. I'm just curious if anyone else out there has ever had this happen to them.Has anyone else ever had baby petunias grow from the blooms that they deadhead?
this is what i do..every year when the growing season is over with i take my pots that had the patunias in them and i stuff the old plants back in the pot and cover it up for the winter, then in the spring i uncover it and pull all the weeds from it..the patunias will grow back from the seeds laying in the pots...i have pink wave that i do this too works great and saves alot of money...its called reseeding them selves good luckHas anyone else ever had baby petunias grow from the blooms that they deadhead?
Petunias just love the heat. Mine are going all over the place. I save the dead heads, plant pansies in my planters for the winter ( they are the only thing that survives the frost) and then when it heats up again around March or April I'll replant the dried seeds. I save my marigolds and zinnias too. I have flowers all over the place but have to water them everyday in this heat.
The best answer I can give for this question is that the soil (content %26amp; quality) is what controls the color of the bloom. If you re-potted the original plant in different soil than what you received it in, then maybe that is why the 'new growth' from the dead blooms are a different color.
open the dead heads and pull on the center. whats in your hand now is seeds. The easiest way to keep them is to put the whole dead head(s) into a brown bag in a cool dark place for the winter. In early spring harvest the seeds and your ready to plant.
Petunias are one of my favorite flowers, it sounds like to me that your petunia is a muticolored one, which means it will bloom various colored flowers. Petunias tend to grow new shoots too, thats why it looks like you have two different plants. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin