Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why is my peace lily turning brownish yellow and the white blooms are turning grayish black?

the leave are wilted almost all the way over.Why is my peace lily turning brownish yellow and the white blooms are turning grayish black?
could be over wateringWhy is my peace lily turning brownish yellow and the white blooms are turning grayish black?
Reason 1.Q: I have several peace lily plants. My sister brought me her peace lily, which was very root-bound. It took three pots to replant. Now the leaves are turning brown and drooping in all the pots. My peace lily leaves also are turning brown on the tips. I cut the brown part off. Was this the wrong thing to do? (e-mail reference)





A: The plant probably needs a rest period. Let it dry for six to eight weeks. This is a natural cycle in its native tropical habitat. Apply enough water to barely keep the soil moist. After that, resume normal watering later in the summer. If the brown tips persist, change to distilled water. It may be the salts in your water supply, especially fluoride, that are causing the tip burn. It doesn鈥檛 hurt the plant, but it does look unsightly.











http://www.saferbrand.com/faq/houseplant鈥?/a>
Any plant turning brownish yellow the first thing I would suspect is either overwatering or underwatering. Check the soil to see if you have alot of dampness. Also check the soil by smelling it, if you smell a mouldy or sour sort of smell, it could be that you have the start of root rot. In this case, you would need to repot making sure you VERY CAREFULLY knock as much soil off of the roots as possible.





As for the grayish black, I would need to know more. IF it is flaky or powdery it could mean that it is a type of mold as well. Spotty with holes could be an insect infestation or disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin