Saturday, December 5, 2009

Why do my squash have no female blooms?

My squash are not setting any fruit because they don't even develope a female bloom, maybe one to the plant. This is happening to all of my plants, five total plants. What is causing this in northern Idaho in sandy soil.Why do my squash have no female blooms?
From the squash plants I've grown both bush and vining, the female (pistillate) blossoms appear after the male (staminate) flowers appear. The petals are attached to the top of the ovary. The pistillate flowers will have a swelling beneath the petals. If there are female flowers present then there is a possibility that the blossoms are not being pollinated. If you find the female flowers you can pick the male blossom, retract the petals exposing the stamens and brush them against the stigma of the female flower.





You may have too short a growing season in northern Idaho for the female blossoms to mature. When I lived in Wyoming, we would start the squash, watermelons, and cantaloupe indoors so they would have a head start when we planted in the garden.Why do my squash have no female blooms?
My best guess is too much nitrogen

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin