Saturday, December 5, 2009

Heirloom morning glory seeds produced microscopic blooms?

Only .5';, before first frost. Would planting earlier help, or should I just try another variety? These were ';Heavenly';.Heirloom morning glory seeds produced microscopic blooms?
Hello, I have grown morning glories from seed. I have noticed that the flowers start out very small. I have to wonder if it is related to the size of the container they are in at the time. They produce flowers fast, if they are in a small cup, they get a tiny flower.





When transplanted they often wilt back, you can cut the tops off just leaving a small start of the vine, or just take off the wilted leaves and leave the vine. Hint, if you trim off the top, it makes your morning glory spread much faster.





Here in zone five they are considered an anual. But Beware! They have a habbit of comming back each year. Every year the flower leaves get bigger, and the flowers also get bigger as well. I had a moon flower (cousin to the morning glorie)


comming back for several years. It got so huge it was like a gigantic ground cover.





I got a request from some one for a vine, so I made every attempt to pull it it. It was so huge that we had to trim the top off to fit it in the trunk of the car. The roots were much like short but fat white carrots. But it had taken over my flower bed so it had to go. Morning glories open in morning where moonflower opens later in the afternoon. Moonflower has a nice glow from the moonlight at night.





If you are in a zone that allows the morning glorie to return, expect bigger flowers this spring/summer. I have a new seedling in a cup ready to pop open a tiny bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
dry skin